Friday 22 May 2015

Understanding

Key to understanding.


Distinguish between fact, conclusion and belief. Here is an example.

I walked out of my front door and notice the roads are wet.   Fact
It must have rained.    Conclusion
God sends the rain.   Belief
Beliefs can be true or false, they are just a matter of faith, and I leave this to the individual. But just saying something is a fact, does not make it so.

To continue with my example.

I turn the corner and the road is dry.    Fact
This new fact causes me to reconsider my previous conclusion. Did it only rain on the other road? Was this road somehow covered?

Returning to the first road I see the pavement is dry though the road is wet.   Fact
The road cleaner vehicle must have been along the road.   Conclusion
I turn another corner and see the road cleaner.   Fact
Road cleaner made the first road wet.    Conclusion
Note the new fact of seeing the road cleaner adds evidence to my conclusion, but it still is a conclusion and not a fact.

(Photo by Dominik)

Emotive language.


A good technique in novels and poetry but can be counter productive in understanding.

 An example, you may think your child is independent others may see him/her as obstinate. Both are seeing the same behaviour but putting a different ‘spin’ onto it.

No comments:

Post a Comment